The Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences on Politics in Political Science is offered by The Open University.
Program Length: 3 YEARS.
DescriptionThis is one of several specialist routes available in our BA (Honours) Social Sciences degree. Half of your studies will be in interdisciplinary social science and sociology, giving you a firm grounding in knowledge and ideas central to the social sciences. For the other half, you’ll explore the fundamentals of political theory, examining the debates and conflicts inherent in a modern democracy. You’ll have an opportunity to focus on either international politics or contemporary political ideas. On completion of your degree, you’ll be able to apply political and social theories and analytical techniques to a variety of topics that affect individuals and society, and you’ll have gained a wide range of transferable skills – opening up employment opportunities in private, public and voluntary sector organisations.
Key features of the course
- Specialise in politics within a broad interdisciplinary social science degree.
- Focus on either international politics or contemporary political ideas.
- Enhance your employability with valued skills, including analysing and evaluating evidence, and communicating specialist ideas and information to different audiences.
- Gain a degree applicable to a wide range of professions, including international agencies and government bodies, businesses and non-governmental organisations.
Course detailsThis degree has three stages, each comprising 120 credits.
- In Stage 1 you'll study two introductory social science modules exploring the issues facing contemporary society.
- Next, at Stages 2 and 3, half your studies will be in sociology. For the other half, you’ll explore the fundamentals of political theory; examine the debates and conflicts inherent in a modern democracy; and focus on either international politics or contemporary political ideas.
AccessibilityThe Open University make all their qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The BA (Honours) Social Sciences uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- finding external/third party material online.
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessmentThis qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; elearning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills